The Cipriani College of Labour and Co-operative Studies signs MOU with St Mary’s Children’s Home
On Thursday 28th September 2023, the Cipriani College of Labour and Co-operative Studies (CCLCS) signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the St. Mary’s Children’s Home (SMCH), at the College’s Valsayn Campus. Present for the signing were, Dr. Andre Vincent Henry, CCLCS Director, Dr. Anderson Maxwell, Chairman of the Board of Management SMCH, Gwenyth Bleasdell, Home Manager, and Dominic Martin, Deputy Home Manager.
The MOU between the institutions is both timely and fortuitous as CCLCS and SMCH are dedicated to the development of Trinidad and Tobago. Together, the two institutions hope to:
1) Create opportunities for CCLCS students and staff to engage in volunteer activities at SMCH.
2) Provide opportunities for CCLCS to conduct research and evaluation studies on topics related to
social justice and human development within acceptable parameters and confidentiality
3) Develop and deliver targeted training programs and workshops for SMCH related to human
development, social justice, and developmental education.
4) Develop educational and vocational programs for SMCH residents.
5) Provide facilities for social activities and interaction.
6) Create internship and job placement opportunities for SMCH residents and graduates as well as facilitate networking opportunities.
While this mandate is very intense, it is deemed necessary as the nation needs such collaborative arrangements to facilitate opportunities for social justice in the system in addition to increasing prospects for youth and adults to have relevant civic and national conversations.
At the same time, this union also enables both parties to engage in productive activities to highlight the values of community, solidarity, and caring.
This MoU marks the first of its kind nationally and will provide the foundation for future collaborative efforts between institutions in Trinidad and Tobago.