Counselling FAQs

Browse our counselling FAQs to see how we can assist you.


Who is eligible for CLRC-SCAP’s counselling services?

All currently enrolled Cipriani College students are eligible for CLRC-SCAP’s counselling services and their immediate family (i.e., spouse, children, parents).

Why do students come to counselling?

Students come to counselling for a wide variety of concerns, including managing relationships, handling family problems, coping with stress, feelings of depression, dealing with fears, handling a crisis, eating and/or body image concerns, improving communication, learning to be assertive, study skills, time management, self-esteem issues, understanding one’s sexuality, decision-making, and dealing with alcohol and/or drug concerns.

How much do these services cost?

Professional counselling services can easily cost thousands of dollars by the end of the therapy period, however, CCLCS-SCAP’s counselling services are completely free for all enrolled Cipriani students and their families.
However, if a student is referred to an external agency for additional services, that student will have to pay for those services him/herself.

What services are offered?

CLRC-SCAP’s services include individual, couples, and group counselling; career guidance, personal development, consultation and referral services, workshops and outreach programs.

Who are the counsellors?

All student counsellors are professionals from the Caribbean Life Resources Centre (CLRC) who hold a Masters Degree in Counselling or equivalent qualifications.

How do I make an appointment?

To make an appointment students simply call CLRC at 657-8823 or 653-4957 or come in to the nearest SCAP office. The SCAP office at Valsayn serves both the Valsayn and El Dorado campuses. We are located upstairs in the West Wing, Room 331, at the end of the corridor opposite classroom 208. Call Cipriani’s PBX (e.g., 645-6012, 645-9626) then extension 379 for info or to make an appointment.

Pleasantville students receive SCAP services at CLRC’s main office on Ruth Avenue, Les Efforts West, San Fernando, opposite the Open Bible High School. Call 657-8823 or 653-4957 to make an appointment.

Students in Tobago can come in to the SCAP office on campus, located upstairs and the end of the building. The Tobago SCAP office does not have a designated number at this time. Students can call 657-8823 or 653-4957 for more information or to make an appointment.

What are your opening hours?

The Valsayn SCAP office is open Monday to Friday from 10:00 a.m. till 6:30 p.m. during the regular semester, and 10:00 a.m. till 5:00 p.m. during the school vacation period.

Pleasantville students can access their SCAP office at CLRC (San Fernando) Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. till 5:00 p.m.

The SCAP office in Tobago is open on Thursdays from 3:00 p.m. till 6:00 p.m.

What if I have an emergency when the CLRC-SCAP office is closed?

You can call our After-Hours Crisis Hotline at 486-7745, go to the nearest hospital or medical clinic, or call local emergency services, such as:

  • 811 for medical emergencies
  • 999 for Police
  • 990 for Fire
  • 800-SAVE (7283) for the Domestic Violence Hotline
  • 645-2800 or 645-6616 for Lifeline (a Suicide Hotline)
  • 622-7273 for Rape Crisis in Port of Spain
  • 657-5355 for Rape Crisis in San Fernando
  • 800-4321 for Childline (a Hotline for children)

How long do sessions last?

An individual counselling session involves meeting one-on-one with a counsellor for approximately 50 minutes. Couples and group sessions last for about 90 minutes. Sometimes sessions may last longer if necessary.

Is there a limit to the number of sessions I can attend?

No. As long as you are enrolled as a student at Cipriani College, you and your immediate family members can attend counselling sessions. You may find the resolution you need in 2 sessions, 12 sessions, or 20 sessions. Counselling is most helpful if the number of sessions you have is jointly determined by you and your counsellor.

Will other people find out my business?

No! All conversations, files, records, and other communication you have with your counsellor are strictly confidential. Information can only be released with your written permission. There are, however, a few exceptional situations that are not covered by confidentiality. These are spelled out in detail in SCAP’s Confidentiality Form. Students can ask any SCAP counsellor about these exceptions or can ask to see the Confidentiality Form at the SCAP office.

Does going to a counsellor mean that you are crazy?

Not at all! People who are perfectly normal and simply want to develop themselves, investigate career options, improve their relationships, learn better studying skills, cope with a crisis, deal with depression or fears, manage their anger, or learn better communication skills come to counselling.
Some students feel hesitant about seeking counselling services, especially if this is their first experience with counselling. They worry that coming to counseling may mean that there is something “wrong” with them. However, most students later report that it was a very positive and productive experience. Students who have used our services will often recommend it to their friends.

What if I miss my appointment?

Any cancellation or change to the appointment time should be made at least 24 hours before the appointment. Students who are 20 or more minutes late to an appointment are considered a “no-show.” The counsellor may require that the student reschedule the appointment and they may choose to see another client in the remaining appointment time.

Are there any limits to the subjects or issues that SCAP counsellors can address?

Yes, some mental health issues fall outside our capacity to provide services. Students needing assistance with the following can meet with a counsellor for assessment and referral to appropriate outside agencies or counsellors:

  • Students needing acute substance abuse treatment (“detox”)
  • Students with severe persistent mental illness or psychotic disorders
  • Students who have clinical needs not covered by the expertise of our counsellors

Will I be prescribed medication if I go to a SCAP counsellor?

No. SCAP’s counsellors do not prescribe medication. If a student appears to require medication the SCAP counsellor will refer him/her to a medical doctor or a psychiatrist.