After forty (40) years of developing and offering programmes in Industrial Relations for workers, trade unions and other people-based organizations, the Cipriani College of Labour and Cooperative Studies, a community college, has taken a qualitative leap and has entered the arena of the Bachelor‚Äôs Degree, continuing to serve the needs of its prime constituents in particular and working people in general.
Credits and Hours
This Bachelor degree in Labour Studies programme will consist of 122 credits, 57 additional credit hours beyond the Associate of Arts degree (65 credits).
Bachelor of Arts Degree (BA) ‚Äď 122 credits
General Education Courses 30 Credits
CIS 100 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Introduction to Computer Information Systems 3
COM 101¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Fundamentals of Communication 3
COM 250¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Effective Communication 3
ENG 110 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Fundamentals of Writing 3
LOG 120 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Critical Thinking 3
MAT 100 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Mathematics 3
PSY 100 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Introduction to Psychology 3
RES 100 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Research Methods & Statistics 3
SOC 100 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Introduction to Sociology 3
SPN 100¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Introduction to Spanish 3
¬†Programme Concentration 53 Credits
LBS 100 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Introduction to Industrial Relations 3
LBS 120 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† History of Caribbean Labour 3
LBS 200 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Fundamental Principles of Labour Law 3
LBS 210¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Grievance Handling and Arbitration 3
LBS 220¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Principles of Caribbean Labour Law 3
LBS 240 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Collective Bargaining 3
LBS 250 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Internship 3
LBS 270 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Caribbean Industrial Relations Systems 3
LBS 280 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Trade Union Administration, Organization & Governance 3
LBS 290 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Applied Collective Bargaining 3
LBS 300 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Employment Law 3
LBS 310 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Women in the Workplace 3
LBS 330 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Industrial Arbitration and Mediation 3
LBS 335 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† ILO and Labour Management in the Caribbean 3
LBS 360 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Research Paper 5
LBS 370 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Trade Union Leadership 3
LBS 380 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Ethics in Decision Making
ACC 100 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Introduction to Accounting 3
ECN 100 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Introduction to Economics 3
ECN 200 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Economy of the Caribbean 3
ECN 210 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Interpreting Economic and Financial Data 3
ECN 220 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Labour Economics 3
HRM 105¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Human Resource Management 3
LBS 110 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Gender Studies 3
MGT 200¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Principles of Business Management 3
OSH 231 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Occupational Safety And Health Legislative Framework 3
PLS 100 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Introduction to Politics 3
PLS 200 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Government and Politics of the Caribbean 3
¬†Electives (Select two) 6 credits
COS 120¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Co-operative Organization and operations 3
HRM 300¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† HRM Systems, Functions & Procedures I 3
HRM 305¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Organizational Behaviour I 3
HRM 335¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Job Evaluation and Compensation Mgt 3
LBS 295 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Comparative Labour Movements 3
PRM 120¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Fundamentals of Project Management 3
SOC 200 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Industrial Sociology 3
SOC 210 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Social Structure of the Caribbean 3
The primary purpose of the Bachelor of Arts in Labour Studies empowers the graduate to:
- Assume a leadership role in a worker‚Äôs organization
- Represent an organization in Industrial Relations matters
- Understand and apply the principles of Grievance Handling, Collective Bargaining and Employment Law
- Undertake research in Industrial Relations matters
- Students with 5 CXC/GCE passes including Mathematics and English Language. These students will require four years to complete the degree-two at the Associate level and the last two at the Bachelor‚Äôs degree level
- Students who have obtained at least two A levels would require three years to complete the degree
- Students who have completed the Associate degree in Labour Studies, Occupational Safety and Health or the Associate degree in Environmental Management with a GPA of 3.0.or higher. These students will require two years to complete the degree as part of a 2 plus 2 articulation arrangement, but will have to complete any additional course(s) offered in the first year of the programme, not covered in the Associate degree programme.
- Mature persons (25 years and older) with considerable experience in the field will be interviewed by the College Admissions Committee, chaired by the Registrar, to determine at what point/level of the programme they will be admitted. Exemptions, if any, will also be determined by this Committee.
Full payment of fees is required when registering for classes. Cipriani College is now a participant in GATE – Government‚Äôs Assistance for Tuition Expenses. The tuition fees listed below apply only to non-nationals. Citizens of Trinidad and Tobago are eligible for free tertiary education. The Board of Governors reserves the right to change tuition and fee charges when necessary without notice. Fees and tuition are not transferable.
For a list of fees, refer to our College Fees as well as Institution Fees.
The Board of Governors reserves the right to change tuition and fee charges when necessary without notice. Fees and tuition are not transferable.
Future Opportunities/Career Path
With the right training, credentials and experience, Cipriani College BA-HRM graduates can work as Human Resource Directors, Managers, Administrators, Supervisors, Generalist, Specialists and HR Assistants, in the areas of staff development, training, labour relations, recruiting, compensation, benefits and employee-wellness.
In addition, ILO requirements and increasing mandatory standards in Occupational Safety and Health (2004, 2006), fair-employment, and health and employee benefits will increase the demand for competent human resource practitioners and employee relations specialists. Higher salaries and opportunities are therefore possible with additional education and experience in managing our critical human resources.