The degree provides a substantial foundation for the legal, management, behavioural and policy issues affecting Occupational Safety and Health in its broadest sense. The scope of the topics is wide ranging and will be covered in sufficient detail to provide a firm basis for future expansion and application.
Credits and Hours
This Associate of Science OSHE Management programme will consist of 65 credits.
OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY & HEALTH
Associate of Science Degree (AS) ‚Äď 68 credits
General Education Courses 21 Credits
CAS 130 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Caribbean Studies 3
CIS 100 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Introduction to Computer Information Systems 3
COM 101¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Fundamentals of Communication 3
LOG 120 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Critical Thinking 3
MAT 100 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Mathematics 3
PSY 100 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Introduction to Psychology 3
RES 100 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Research Methods and Statistics 3
Programme Concentration 35 Credits
ENM 221 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Environmental Risk Assessment 3
OSH 100 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Fundamentals of Occupational Safety and Health 3
OSH 110 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Safety Technology I 3
OSH 120 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Safety Management I 3
OSH 141 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Occupational Health and Industrial Hygiene I 3
OSH 210 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Safety Technology II 3
OSH 220 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Safety Management II 3
OSH 231 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Occupational Safety and Health Legislative Framework 3
OSH 241 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Occupational Health and Industrial Hygiene II 3
OSH 250 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Internship* 3
OSH 260 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Research Paper 5
Supporting Courses 9 Credits
BIO 100¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology 3
CHM 100 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Introduction to Chemistry 3
LBS 100 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Introduction to Industrial Relations 3
Electives (Select any ONE – Diploma graduates MUST
choose a course not previously attempted) 3 Credits
EMM 275 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Disaster Preparedness Planning 3
LBS 200 ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Fundamental Principles of Labour Law 3
OSH 150¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Security Aspects of Safety 3
OSH 245¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Fire Safety 3
*An internship will be required for those who do not have any working experience in the field. Students who have working experience will be granted an exemption from OSH 250. However, they will be required to submit written proof of their working experience
The goal of the Cipriani College‚Äôs Associate Degree in Occupational Safety and Health is to prepare students for a rewarding professional career even as it attempts to produce a well-rounded individual. The graduate of this programme will:
- Be able to reduce the effect of exposure to hazards in an organization
- Be able to apply that which they learn to their individual career paths
- Be able to implement safe systems of work and accident prevention
- Be able to communicate effectively with practitioners in the related professions
- Have the leadership and management knowledge necessary to supervise Occupational Safety and Health departments well into the twenty-first century
- Be able to function at the senior management level in an advisory capacity
- Students who possess five or more (CXC/GCE passes, including passes in English and Maths)
- Students who have successfully completed the CCLCS Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health or its equivalence.
- Complete the Research Paper/Thesis wherever this is required
- Mature students (25 years and older) who have successfully completed the CCLCS Certificate in Occupational Safety and Health with at least a ‚ÄúB‚ÄĚ average and have worked continuously within a Safety environment for at least two years. Because of a lack of space, not everyone, who is eligible for admission, is guaranteed admission into the Programme.
Exemptions will be granted only to those who have successfully completed CCLCS Certificate and/or Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health within the last six (6) years, that is from September 2000 and have been continuously employed in the field. In the case of those mature students who have successfully completed the Certificate programme with at least a ‚ÄúB‚ÄĚ average, they would have to have attained at least a ‚ÄúB‚ÄĚ grade in each course presented for exemption. Exemptions will be awarded only in cases where the course numbers in both the Associate Degree and Certificate or Diploma are the same. This excludes the course OSH 260. Research Papers completed for one programme cannot be presented for exemption for another programme.
- Students must earn at least a 2.0 grade point average in the credits presented for graduation
- Students must complete a minimum of sixty (60) or more credits, including the general education core courses
Full payment of fees is required when registering for classes. Cipriani College is now a participant in GATE – Government‚Äôs Assistance for Tuition Expenses. The tuition fees listed below apply only to non-nationals. Citizens of Trinidad and Tobago are eligible for free tertiary education. The Board of Governors reserves the right to change tuition and fee charges when necessary without notice. Fees and tuition are not transferable.
For a list of fees, refer to our College Fees as well as Institution Fees.
The Board of Governors reserves the right to change tuition and fee charges when necessary without notice. Fees and tuition are not transferable.