Co-operative Studies examines the values and principles of co-operatives and looks at the methods and processes by which co-operatives are organized. This programme is geared to the training and education of co-operative personnel, Directors, Committee Members, Managers, Supervisors and other staff as well as young persons and workers generally in the management of business enterprises with specific emphasis on the co-operative type of business. The basic aim of the programme is to enhance the management capability of the Co-operative Movement and to make for greater efficiency in the operations of Co-operative societies.
Credits and Hours
This Associate of Arts Degree in Co-operative Studies programme will consist of 62 credits.
Associate of Arts Degree (AA) â€“ 62 credits
General Education Courses 21 Credits
CIS 100 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Introduction to Computer Information Systems 3
COM 101 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Fundamentals of Communication 3
ENG 110 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Fundamental of Writing 3
LOG 120 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Critical Thinking 3
MAT 100 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Mathematics 3
PSY 100 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Introduction to Psychology 3
SOC 100Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Introduction to Sociology 3
Â Programme Concentration 38 Credits
Â ACC 100Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Introduction to Accounting 3
ACC 210Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Principles of Auditing 3
COS 110 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Co-operative Law and Principles 3
COS 120 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Co-operative Organisation and Operations 3
COS 200 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Communication and Extension I 3
COS 202 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Communication and Extension II 3
COS 250 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Internship* 3
COS 260 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Research Paper 5
MAR 200 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Principles of Marketing 3
MGT 200 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Principles of Business Management 3
MGT 201 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Financial Management 3
RES 100 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Research Methods and Statistics 3
Â Supporting Courses 3 Credits
Â ECN 100 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Introduction to Economics 3
Â *An internship will be required for those who do not have any working experience in the field. Students who have working experience will be granted an exemption from COS 250. However, they will be required to submit written proof of their working experience.
The programme prepares students to:
- Pursue careers in management in co-operatives, credit unions, and private businesses as well as in the government service.
- Fit into todayâ€™s business environment as well as to train prospective entrepreneurs who are interested in operating their own businesses
- Enhance the management capability of the Co-operative Movement and to make for greater efficiency in the operations of Co-operative societies.
- Earn a minimum of 62 credit hours in academic courses
- Earn a minimum grade point average of 2.00. Some programmes may have higher grade point requirements
- Meet the Degree requirements of the specific programme of study in which the Degree is to be awarded, including the general education requirements, as detailed in the College catalogue issued in the year in which the degree began, or which was in effect during the academic year of the most recent readmission to the College
- Complete the Research Paper/Thesis wherever this is required
Full payment of fees is required when registering for classes. Cipriani College is now a participant in GATE – Governmentâ€™s Assistance for Tuition Expenses. The tuition fees listed below apply only to non-nationals. Citizens of Trinidad and Tobago are eligible for free tertiary education. The Board of Governors reserves the right to change tuition and fee charges when necessary without notice. Fees and tuition are not transferable.
For a list of fees, refer to our College Fees as well as Institution Fees.
The Board of Governors reserves the right to change tuition and fee charges when necessary without notice. Fees and tuition are not transferable.
Future Opportunities/Career Path
Our graduates pursue occupations such as Cooperative Officer, Community Development Officer and also work as Managers, Supervisors, Credit Officers, Marketing Assistants and Field Officers. Some go on to jobs in the private sector in Accounting, Marketing and other areas at the middle management level.